[Sca-cooks] OT - Murder at the War

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 3 21:27:12 PDT 2001

Anahita commented:
> My consort found an old used copy and let me read it. It was so much
> fun. It really pegs the SCA :-) (and written by a SCAdian, let me
> add, for those unfamiliar) - oh, yeah, and there's a sequel... can't
> remember the title though :-(

When the book came out in paperback the title was changed for that also.
I believe both the paperback edition and the sequels are discussed in
one of these files in the SCA-STORIES section of the Florilegium:
SCA-authors-msg   (36K) 12/16/94    Authors who have been/are SCA members.
SCA-in-books-msg  (32K)  8/21/96    Mentions of the SCA in books and magazines.

If I remember right, the sequel does have the same main character, but
very little of the book takes place in the SCA and the following books
have even less mention of the SCA.

I happened to enjoy the book and thought it rang very true to the
SCA, but I'm not a fan of mystery/detective stories. Some that are
have complained that the plot was very transparent and obvious.

Hmmm. Okay, from within the second file:
> As far as I know, the complete list of Mary Monica Pulver/Steffan and Kori
> books is:
>
> Murder at the War/Knight Fall (same book, different title)
> The Unforgiving Minutes
> Ashes to Ashes
> Original Sin
>
> The SCA-dependency of the books varies inversely with age :). The oldest,
> Knight Fall, is almost completely within the context of the SCA; the newest,
> Original Sin, contains only about a dozen sentences that indicate that some
> of the characters are Scadian. Nonetheless, I feel that the writing is much
> better in the later novels, and they're all worth reading.
>
> Alison MacDermot

You can find more comments/reviews in the two files.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net