[Sca-cooks] Rice success!

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun May 6 16:22:19 PDT 2001

When we were discussing cooking rice for feasts, someone
(Balthazar?) suggested using disposable roaster pans in the oven,
tightly covered with tin foil.

Tonight, I redacted a recipe from Nola.  It's a rice casserole, made
in the oven with saffron-tinted beef broth.  Since rice is cheap, I
decided to give the recipe a try in bulk.  I washed 5 cups of rice in
cold water, then hot, let it drain thoroughly, and placed it in the
roasting pan.  I boiled a pinch of saffron in 10 cups of homemade
beef broth, and poured the boiling broth over the rice.  Covered it
tightly with heavy duty foil, and baked it at 350 F for 45 minutes.  It
was perfect!  Moist, fluffy, and no toothbreakers!

Balthazar (or whoever suggested this), thank you very much!  I
have never been able to cook more than 2 cups of raw rice without
having it be half-mushy/half-raw.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann