[Sca-cooks] cubebs

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 10:13:44 PDT 2001

>On the other hand i have some cubebs i bought in the mid-1970's
>which, while probably really weak compared to when they were fresh,
>are still incredibly flavorful, better than the new ones i bought.
>Which reminds me of Balthazar's thread on cubebs. My old ones are
>large - with an almost citrus overtone - while the new ones are
>rather tiny, and while pungent and flavorful are not quite as
>wonderful tasting.
>
>Anahita

I bought some cubebs that are about the size and shape of whole black
pepper.  They are dark but not like pepper.  They taste very pungent and
rather sharp.  Some of them still have little stems on them.  Is this anyone
elses experience?  If in fact they are something else (false cubebs) I
really like them anyway and would wonder what they really are.
Olwen