[Sca-cooks] Too much spice/Blancmange

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Thu May 10 15:17:27 PDT 2001

> Another complication is that sometimes amounts are probably given
> in terms of the cost of the ingredient, as in 'a denier's worth
> of cinnamon'.  There is ongoing controversy about whether it was
> really based on value; or whether 'denier' meant a specific small
> weight, or specific small volume, in such circumstances.

	For all we know, they meant a quantity to match the weight
of the coin itself . . .

> We can probably never know for certain.

	Ain't that the truth (sigh)!

> The _modern_ meaning of blancmange is nothing like the medieval
> meaning, though it is usually white.

> Thorvald

	One of these days, for a potluck, I'm going to make
up "Blancmange, then and now" -- one batch with the Medieval
recipe, one with a modern one, and let people marvel at how
things have changed . . .

			-- Ruth