[Sca-cooks] spice substitutions

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 10 20:05:17 PDT 2001

Begga asked:
> On topic - is there anything I can substitute for long pepper and grains of
> paradise?  I want to try the Rabbit (Hare) broth now -  but my spice order hasn't
> come in yet. ( Rabbits I got - spices I don't)

There are several spice substitutions given for grains of paradise in this
file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the Florilegium:
G-of-Paradse-msg  (66K)  8/ 2/00    History and use of the spice Grains
of
                                       Paradise.

And while I didn't find any substitutions for Long Pepper when I looked
through this file, it still might be worth a look:
spices-msg       (126K)  3/23/01    Info. on spices, sources for spices.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net