[Sca-cooks] Strawberries

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Fri May 11 06:06:23 PDT 2001

Reginleif asked:

> Does anyone have any good recipes involving fresh strawberries that would
> be acceptable for a feast? Hopefully somewhat simple to make, .....

When I did the Lent/Passover feast for North Regional Warlord, I made a
"trifle" of cream, rosewater, and spices (I think it came from "To The
King's Taste" but would have to check the packet of recipes) and just served
that with the berries.  We used almond cream, of course, it being Lent, but
you can use cow's cream now.

I believe there is a simple custard recipe in "Pleyn Delit" that works well
with berries.  Just please avoid the Strawberry Tarte in "Jumbles Tartes and
Shrewsberry Cakes" (or a title close to that; the books are downstairs) as a
quick read shows it does NOT follow the original.

Besides, you only cook strawberries when they have gone past prime.  If they
are fine, eat them fresh!  (Note: This philosophy may not be medievally
accurate.)

                                            ---= Morgan

"The reason grandparents and grandchildren get along
 so well is that they have a common enemy."
                                   ---= Sam Levenson
     M. Harold Goodman - 1918 - April 17, 2001
     Husband, father, stepfather, grandfather,
        great-grandfather -=- much beloved