[Sca-cooks] Ruthlessness and cedar shavings.

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Fri May 11 13:00:02 PDT 2001

> Happy to hear we are no longer a Ruth-less group.

	(Sighs and rolls eyes . . .)

> Do you know about the resin from cedar shavings, and it long term effect on
> the ground and plants ?

	I don't recall anything specific, but it's true that a
lot of resins and chemicals found in wood (especially aromatic
ones like cedar) *can* be toxic to other plants.  And people I
know who have gardens avoid the use of cedar shavings.  One couple
I know has pet gerbils, and they line the critters' cage with
cedar shavings.  The wife wanted to recycle by dumping the shavings
in the garden as mulch, but the husband said authoritatively that
that was bad and would kill everything.  Given that he comes from
a farming/gardening family, I'd guess he knows what he's talking
about.
	Personally, I wouldn't risk it.  The liklihood of
toxicity seems too high.

			-- Ruth