[Sca-cooks] more on bananas

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 13 16:21:23 PDT 2001

The April issue of "BBC History Magazine" has in their calender for
April 10:
"1633: The first bananas imported to England go on sale."

So, this may force myself, and maybe Bear, to modify our comments on
bananas not being eaten in England until the use of steamships in the
19th century.

Unfortunately, I currently have no idea what their source for this
information is and what they are basing this comment on. I'm not sure
how they got them to England in edible shape. This note does say "for
sale", so it would appear to be more than just a handful of bananas
and probably not just a single bunch for the Royalty.

This is still out of the SCA period, but its a lot closer than before.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net