[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #37 - 17 msgs

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Mon May 14 16:45:23 PDT 2001

	Tara wrote:
> Scully wrote in a magazine article of chopping, hewing, and grinding to
> blend the ingredients as much as possible,  mingling their qualities
> evenly.  He related these techniques to the word "temper", found so
> often in the recipes.  Small bits would also be easier to digest, a
> major concern of the humoural diet.
>
> Dish after dish of chopped up glop would not please today's SCA
> feaster, but it does explain why there wasn't a pressing need for table
> forks.

	Hadn't looked at it this way, but it would make senses as
to why so many of the recipes I've seen are cooked to mush, and
then pureed on top of all that.  I commented on this to someone
the other day, and they said something about maybe needing to
cook things longer in the germy Medieval atmosphere, and I
was quick to reply, "You don't understand -- this stuff is
like *baby food*!"
	If the idea is to keep the stuff as digestable as possible,
I guess you don't get much more digestable than that.

		-- Ruth