[Sca-cooks] OOP: Recipe website for quantity cooking

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri May 18 10:11:48 PDT 2001

I was browsing the web, and I came across a very interesting site.  It's the
U.S. Navy's Naval Logistics Library Recipe Repository at:
http://www.nll.navsup.navy.mil/recipe/
It has over 1500 recipes of all kinds.  All of the recipes seem to be for
100 servings.  Of course, it's not period food, but I think it can be very
useful for those of us who are still learning to cook in quantity.  The
recipe for Cajun Roast Beef is not one I would prepare for a feast, but it
tells me how many pounds of beef roast I need to start with to get 100 4-
ounce portions, and about how much cooking time it will need.  And it
gives alternate instructions for convection ovens.  The recipe for braised
rabbit also looked useful.

The front page is not the best design.  There is no table of contents, only
a keyword search window.  However, you can click the search button
without entering a keyword, and it will bring up the entire list of recipes.
And if you search on the keyword "index" it will bring up the indexes for
the various chapters.  The files are all in PDF format, so you need
Adobe Acrobat on your computer to read them.  (Adobe can be
downloaded for free, and is handy to have, IMO.)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net