[Sca-cooks] Atlantian Twentieth Year Celebration

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue May 29 17:06:47 PDT 2001

I know I shouldn't, but I just have to crow.  We pulled it off.  We
really did.  We fed 591 people a two course feast plus dessert and it
really went well.  Everything that was supposed to be hot was hot and
the same for cold.  And all but one of the dishes was excellent...and
that one was only mediocre!  No bad ones.  And all of this was done in
near-hurricane conditions, with the feast hall under wedding pavillions
outside.

The Crowns were so impressed that they awarded all of the cooks and
servers the King's Award of Excellence, a move I've never seen
duplicated before in our Kingdom.  The cooks for this event included a
number of people on this list, a few of which include Master John le
Burgillium, Lady Olwen the Odd, Mistress Margherita, Master Tirloch
(yes, I said "Master"...he was elevated to the Order of the Pelican on
Sunday morning...put on vigil when the cooks were called out at the end
of the feast Saturday evening), and myself.  My lord Phillip, who
doesn't correspond on this list, was also one of the cooks.  The lady
whose address also appears in the address portion of this message, was
the head cook,  the current Baroness of Ponte Alto (the co-hosting
barony along with my barony of Dun Carraig), Dame Winifed Corbet de
Wynterwood.  With a two-month old baby and many other obstacles,
including cooks who had never worked together and some who couldn't come
but sent their recipes instead, she pulled off one gargantuan feat!!!

Shortly there will be a web page where the menu and recipes will be
posted.  When that happens, I'll forward that information to the list as
well.  I really had my doubts that we could pull this off...actually, I
thought it would either be a howling success or a dismal failure.  It
definitely was the former.  I have heard nothing but rave reviews for
the feast...and not a single complaint about ANYTHING!!!!!

End of crow......

Kiri

PS:  Laird Muirghen Ruadh, also on this list...and deputy autocrat for
the event,  was inducted into the Order of the Golden Dolphin for
service at Saturday's Court.