SC - Creating a period garden

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue May 1 17:27:28 PDT 2001

mark.s.harris at motorola.com writes:

<< I don't know how any of you find time to tend a garden
 as well as do all the cooking and other things. >>

It beats hunting for them at the super market. ;-) This years garden includes
turnips, swiss chard, spinach, radishes, onions, shallots, garlic, leeks,
dill, fava beans, red carrots, white carrots, basil, cucucumbers, cabbage,
broccolli, summer savory, Italian parsley, cantalope, watermelon, cutting
celery (will post the particulars tomorrow), Italian edible gourds, bushel
basket gourds and sesame.

Perinneal beds include lovage, hyssop, rue, angelica, cardoon, horseradish,
species roses, thyme, Greek Oregano, Marjoram, garlic chives, regular chives,
lemon balm, peppermint, spearmint, saffron crocus, French sorrel, marshmallow.

Non-period items include several heirlooms such the Cherokee Tomato, Egyptian
walking onions, a Sioux squash and Texas Bird Pepper among other things. Corn
and several squashes round out the list.

I also have 2 willows started in tubs, and 2 white pomegranate seedlings
(sweet, started from seed from one I bought when in Wales). Sadly my quinces
I started succumbed to a fungus disease. :-(

Anyway I do all of this in period-like beds using only animal fertilizers
(cow and chicken manure) and no pesticides. Weeding is controled by mulching
as is water conservation. For emergency watering I keep a 55 gallon plastic
barrel under the rain spout. All of this is accomplished on a normal sized
city  lot with 2 houses (90 x 100 feet).

Ras