SC - What would you do? or 2 months to freak out

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue May 1 15:22:31 PDT 2001

> > Kingdom War Practice after the tourney I was just told
> > that I should plan for about 100 people (but it might
> > be more at the last minute) at $2/head.  There is no
> > kitchen, just a picnic pavillion.

Ah. I would recommend jettisoning the plan with the individual packets,
since the lunch is included with the cost of the site. It isn't really
worth the effort.

Plan for fruit (oranges and bananas go quickly if you
can reconcile them with your authenticity level) and vegetables -- see if
you can get them from a local produce auction or marketer.

Meat pies are a good way to go, but you can provide an alternative as
well. I'm a big fan of hard-boiled eggs if you have some way of keeping
them cool (like swapping them in and out of a cooler full of ice)-- they
are much cheaper than cheese by volume. Again, look for a discount market
where you can buy large blocks and cut them up. Cold chicken or beef is
probably within your budget at $2 a head-- if you cook it ahead and cut it
up into smallish pieces and have someone do portion control. (The more you
put out, the more they will take at once. *sigh*)

Bread and things to put on bread will do a brisk business... buy it cut up
or have the person attending the lunch cut it up.

Have napkins or other containers for people to take food away from the
service area.

Some fighters won't eat until after the fighting is over-- it may be well
to have a second service.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net