SC - What would you do? or 2 months to freak out

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed May 2 09:48:28 PDT 2001

> Jenne Heise wrote:
>
> > > "Hey, I'll take some of those 'armored' potatos. Much better tasting
> > > than those armored turnips. Looks the same either way, especially
> > > from ten feet." :-)
> >
> > Armored Potatoes? How unbearably bland! Bleah. Bleah. Bleah!

I thought that was what my mother called 'Scalloped Potatoes'. At least
how she made them.

> > > Actually, oranges might be okay as both sweet and sour oranges were
> > > used by 1600. Perhaps apples or grapes might be better choices though.
> >
> > I'm uncomfortable with serving apples in midsummer... anybody else?

After several replies about keeping and serving apples at events, I must
point out that I think Jadwiga's comment is more fundemental than that.
Would they have served apples in midsummer in period? As they were kept
(root cellar, in sawdust, etc) the quality would not be what we are
accustomed to- they were likely to be mealy and suited more for sauces
than for eating raw. We need to remember that we have better shipping,
refrigeration and storage- _and_ here on Mainland US we have things like
imports from New Zealand- giving us lovely, crisp apples year-round. So
the question is one of do we re-create seasonal availablilty, or simply
go withwhat is more convenient?

'Lainie
thinking a good soak in the hot hub is in order- Rock, here I come!