[Sca-cooks] Re: SC - Creating a period garden

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 11:10:41 PDT 2001

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> Balthazar of Blackmoor commented:
> > After checking my garden this morning, I have
> noticed
> > a few more bulbs beginning to form.  Patience, I
> > suppose, is the order of the day...
>
> So how can you tell if the bulbs are starting to
> form?

The tops of the turnip bulbs are visible above the
soil line.  When these get about 3 inches in diameter,
I'll know it's time to harvest the plants.  The same
is true of radishes, rutabagas, and, to a lesser
degree, carrots.  No need to pull up or dig
anything...

> Thank you Balthazar and the others who sent me info
> on herb growing
> by email. I think I will try this.

You are welcome.  Just remember that, in most cases,
frequent trimming produces healthier plants, and don't
let any flowers go to seed unless you want them to
self-sow.  Seeding drains a plant of it's energy, and
it will quickly go dormant after, which shortens it's
production season.  Keep the flower pinched to prolong
the harvest of the leaves.

> I don't want to get overly ambitious here, so I want
> to limit myself
> to say half a dozen herb pots. If you were going to
> grow just a few
> herbs, which would you pick. Please take into
> consideration that this
> is a new thing for me, so if there's a big
> differance the easier to
> grow herbs should take priority.

Parsley, Siam Queen Basil, Creeping Thyme (perrenial),
Mexican Oregano (perrenial), Chives and Rosemary
(officianalis) would be my first suggestions.  They
are all very prolific, and very easy to care for on a
kitchen window sill, or patio.  This will give you
three perrenial and three annual varieties, as well,
so you can change out the annuals from time to time if
you want to try something new.

> I might also try some mint sometime

Like others on the list have said, confine your mint
to a pot (you can place it on a board to prevent the
roots from creeping out the bottom) or you will have a
Devil of a time keeping it in check.  Pineapple mint
isn't quite as invasive as spearmint or peppermint,
but then, it doesn't have the characteristic 'mint'
aroma or flavor, either.

Good luck, and if I can be of any help, let me know.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Spiders are relatively high in protein...but they tickle.