[Sca-cooks] bananas

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Fri May 4 12:20:36 PDT 2001

Hello the List!

Someone (sorry, I didn't check the message header) sounded sceptical about
bananas taking a long time to ripen/go off when attached to the stem:

My mother, when living in Papua New Guinea in the late 50s (tiny island, no
electricity, no nothing) used to get a stem of bananas once every few weeks
and hang it up in a shed (dark and away from flying foxes).  She would cut a
hand off at a time to bring indoors and she says they used to last a very
long time still attached to the stem.  I can ask for more details if you
want, but I don't think the shop-window story is unlikely at all.

Cairistiona