[Sca-cooks] Culantro

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sat May 5 18:07:01 PDT 2001

--- rcmann4 at earthlink.net wrote:

>  The entry
> reads, in part:
>
> Culantro, well-known herb, thickly covered with
> small, clustered
> leaves, whose seeds are small round grains, much
> smaller than
> those of pepper, which after drying are used as one
> of the ordinary
> spices, to season various things.

Well, that's certainly cilantro, no doubt about it.

> I would add that there are no New World foods in
> Nola's recipes.
>
> Likewise, Herrera makes no reference to it being an
> import, and
> quotes Avicenna (10th-11th century) on the medical
> properties of
> culantro.

That would seem to clench it, then :)  I might have
suggested that E. Foetidum  might well have been
established in Spain by the mid 1700's, but if your
author is quoting a 10th century manuscript, then that
would pretty much rule it out in this instance.

Balthazar of Blackmoor
(culantro seeds, anyone??)

=====
Pray your Gods who ask you for your blood,
For they are strong and angry jealous ones.
Or lay upon my altar now your love
I feel my time is short...there are armies moving close
Be Quick My Love.