[Sca-cooks] No Sugar in 10th Century??

Wed May 9 08:21:21 PDT 2001

Most of the Medieval and Renaissance recipes don't list quantities for any
of the ingredients, so the quantities can't be altered for those recipes.

Scribes were copyists and transcribers of dictation.  Since the scribe is
not a cook, the scribe would likely have little knowledge, except in rare
instances, about the ratios between the ingredients (the mysteries of the
cook) in a recipe, so altering the recipe would be foolish, especially if
the recipe were read to the cook.  However, typographical and transcription
errors do occur.  To examine differences between different copies of the
same recipe, take a look at the recipes in Cindy Renfrow's Take A Thousand
Eggs Or More, specifically those from Harleian MS. 279 and Harleian MS.
4016.  The two manuscripts have a lot of overlap (suggesting one is copied
from the other), are approximately 30 years apart, and have some interesting
linguistic differences.

As for spicing, just what is the definition of "heavily spiced?"  I tend to
think a dish is heavily spiced if I can make out the individual spices and
the spices overpower the taste of the other ingredients, but how does that
translate to quantities?  Did Medieval diners want to make out the taste of
the individual spices or did they want the flavors to blend?  What quantity
of spices were used by a household in a year?  How much was used for
medicine and how much for cooking?  How many people used these spices?  How
potent were these spices?  An accurate answer to those questions would make
a reputation for a historian.

A 1:1 mix of cloves to meat can be ruled out.  It is insanely expensive and
inedible.  But, a pinch, a teaspoon or a tablespoon to a pound of meat are
all possible.  How do we determine which is accurate?

I think a lot depends on the individual tastes of the cook's patron.  Just
as private cooks today prepare meals to their patron's tastes, Medieval
cooks would prepare food to the taste and medical needs of their patrons.
Arguing quantities of spices used is an exercise in historical research,
recreating a recipe is a matter of taste.  I let my tongue guide me, when I
prepare recipes.  After all, the dish must be to my patron's taste.

Bear