[Sca-cooks] Why is saffron a mistake?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu May 10 12:30:30 PDT 2001

I'm sure that there are others on this list who can give you a more scholarly
answer, but I suspect that the recipes calling for saffron are using it mostly
as a coloring agent.  Most recipes don't call for that seasoning...at least
the ones I've seen.  I do know that I've seen descriptions of blancmange that
were dyed different colors as a sotoltie sort of thing...I even read a
description (don't remember where) about a lord's arms being done in
blancmange!

Kiri