[Sca-cooks] Inchworms and Monoculture (was: Creating a period garden)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 17:22:35 PDT 2001

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

> Ok, for the new gardeners here (ie: me) what is a
> "naturalizing"
> bed?
>
> Is this an immigration quarantine for your new
> plants? :-)

As always, Lord Stefan is quick with a witty retort or
question to help open up a discussion for the newer
members... :)

A "naturalizing bed" is an area in the garden reserved
for bulbs and other plants to 'grow wild', propogate
freely and with abandon, and self sow.  They often
require little care, depending, of course, on the type
of plant you have introduced.  They tend to take on a
very informal look, and are often a great resource for
populating other, more formal areas of the garden.
Once the bulbs have been well established, and proven
themselves successful in your particular
micro-climate, they can be divided and rationed out to
those places in your yard which need more color.
Unfortunately, since I am in a new home (no, not
*that* kind of home...) my naturalizing beds are
limited to Summer and Autumnal bloomers (no, not
*that* kind of bloomers...)  And, if the ceyenne
pepper cocktail doesn't work to get rid of these
worms, tain't gonna be much of an Autumn to worry
about, neither...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Words are Trains for moving past what really has no name...