[Sca-cooks] Belated introduction/It's a small Known World after all!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 10 18:47:09 PDT 2001

Ruth Freebourne said in her message:
> > Is your Culinary Guild a local phenomenon, or is it empire-wide?  If the
> > latter, please send me more information.
>
> 	This is pretty well local, as far as I know, though
> Friar Magus and a few others have been discussing the possibility
> of an Empire-wide one on the Adrian Empire BBS (the one out of
> Esperance, not the old "Shadowlands" -- do you need
> the address?).  Actually, our local Guilds are still a little
> disorganized, but the will is there!

Perhaps these files in the Florilegium might be of use:
In the COMMERCE section:
guilds-msg        (26K)  4/ 2/01    Medieval and SCA guilds.

In the SCA-INC section:
cookng-guilds-msg (12K)  4/ 2/01    SCA cooking guilds.

> 	I *was* a little mystified to see the PD version of
> frumenty made with cracked wheat, however.  Every original recipe
> is very clear that you beat the wheat/barley up in a mortar to
> hull it, then boil the whole grains "till they break" (a phrase
> that makes no sense if you're using cracked wheat).  On the
> other hand, I live in wheat-growing country where organic
> whole wheat berries sell for 40 cents a pound at the Food
> Co-Op.  Other parts of the country may not be so lucky . . .

In the FOOD section:
frumenty-msg      (48K)  4/ 7/99    A period cooked grain dish, often barley.

Your group may also be mentioned in these files in the UNCATALOGUED
section. If you have corrections or elaborations on this information,
please feel free to send me an email that can be added:
other-groups-msg  (60K)  7/ 6/00    Other groups similar to the SCA.
LivHist-msg       (40K)  8/18/98    Living History groups
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net