[Sca-cooks] "Pleyn Delyt"

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Fri May 11 13:09:29 PDT 2001

> In one recipe, the second edition calls for allspice. Allspice is not
> documented as being used in period (some sources say that Columbus
> brought it back, others that it was not imported until 1601), I'd
> advise using a different spice.

	I don't have the book at hand, and can't look up the
recipe you refer to, but one frequent modern substitution I've
seen recommended is the use of 1/2 allspice and 1/2 pepper to
simulate cubebs, for those who can't find them.  It actually
seems a reasonable substitution, flavor-wise, and I'm sure it
can make a big difference for someone just starting out who
really wants to try the flavors but might not have a full
spice cabinet yet.
	Not that real cubebs aren't more Period, and very
tasty, besides!  I would vastly prefer to use them.
	FWIW, the other, similar substitutions I've seen are
1/2 pepper and 1/2 cardamom for Grains of Paradise, and 1/2
pepper and 1/2 ginger for galangal.  Again, neither is as
satisfactory as the Real Thing, but they're a start.

		-- Ruth