[Sca-cooks] Re: A Small Known World After All (Frumenty Comment)

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat May 12 06:22:28 PDT 2001

On 12 May 01,, Elise Fleming wrote:

> What about an overnight cooking?  In a crockpot to minimize sticking
> to the pot?  Do we know whether cooks cooked up the grains that
> morning, or might it have been one of those things put on the side
> of the fire for a long, slow cooking?
>
> Alys Katharine

Nola has a recipe for boiled wheat, which I think is a frumenty
equivalent.  The cooking starts the night before.  Whole wheat
berries (with the outer hull removed) are washed, then boiled until
the grains burst.  The cooked wheat is then removed from the fire
and allowed to sit over night in a covered dish.  In the morning, it is
put into a fresh pot and cooked again, then almond milk is added
to the mixture.

I assume that the overnight rest would allow the wheat to absorb
more moisture.  Long, slow cooking with a grain dish might be
difficult to achieve without scorching.  There's no indication how
long the second cooking lasts -- it may be only to reheat the wheat.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net