[Sca-cooks] Crockpot question

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat May 12 10:23:12 PDT 2001

On 12 May 01,, Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:

> Could someone find me a picture of a crockpot??? I'm a native French speaker
> here, and I have no idea of what thing in my kitchen a crockpot corresponds
> to. (Of course, it doesn't help that the word crockpot is not in my
> French/English dictionary)...

"Crockpot" is a specific brand-name for a kitchen appliance -- an
electric slow-cooker.  The word has become a generic term, much
as Xerox is often used as a synonym for photocopier.  It consists
of a metal shell with a heating unit inside, and a heavy ceramic
crock with a glass lid.  There are usually 2 heat settings: low and
high.  They are designed to cook food slowly over a period of many
hours.  They come in different sizes.  The better ones have a
removable crock, so one can prepare the ingredients ahead of time,
refrigerate the crock overnight, and replace it in the shell to cook
just before leaving for work.  The main advantages of a crockpot are
convenience and the ability to do safe, unattended slow-cooking.  It
is particularly good for stewing tough cuts of meat.  I often make
pot roast in my crockpot.  I put a piece of beef brisket in the crock,
along with some sliced onions, beef broth, and seasonings, and let
it cook for about 8 hours, until it is falling-apart tender.

Here is a web page with a picture:
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/egg/egg0498/ragout.html

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)