[Sca-cooks] bagna cauda

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat May 12 21:46:14 PDT 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Bagna cauda is an oil-based garlicky-anchovy fondue from the Piedmonte
> region of Italy. There are quite a number of variations on the recipe:
> some use just oil and no butter,

There is some justifiable controversy regarding whether this dish is in
fact Piedmontese in origin. Certainly all the ingredients _except_ for
butter would suggest a more southerly origin, but then most of the
recipes I'd seen until recently called for oil only, and no butter.
Oil-only versions are popular in other parts of Italy and in the south
of France, especially in and around Nice.

I'd bet the Ur-dish to be Nicoise (Nice being essentially an amusement
park called Olive-Anchovy-Land) and the Piedmontese dish containing
butter to be the Johnny-come-lately variant.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com