[Sca-cooks] more on bananas

Mon May 14 06:42:45 PDT 2001

April 10, 1633 to be precise.  This is the bunch of bananas displayed in the
shop of Thomas Johnson, who edited Gerard's Herball.

Without the additional information, the implication is that this is the
start of continuous commercial banana sales in England.  It isn't.  The
first commercial importations were from Madeira in the 19th Century.  They
were an exotic fruit, expensive and not widely consumed.

Even with steamships in the 19th Century, a lot of the bananas which reached
England from South America spoiled in transit.  The English trade in bananas
became commercially viable in the late 19th Century with air conditioned,
steam powered, banana freighters.

Bear