[Sca-cooks] spice trade transit time

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 09:30:08 PDT 2001

--- James Prescott <prescotj at telusplanet.net> wrote:
>   Side note: Once one overcomes the fear of sailing
> out of sight of
>   land, and has acquired a sufficient store of
> no-landmark navigation
>   skills (see e.g. Lewis "We, the Navigators"), it
> is actually much
>   safer to be well out into blue water than to be
> near a coast.

I'm not positive this was due to a fear of being out
of sight of land, at least not in antiquity.  From
what I have heard, the early Greek Triremes and
similar vessels of Rome were not entirely 'seaworthy'.
 This may be a misconception, in itself, and if so,
could possibly be one reason why this belief has
propogated.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Words are Trains for moving past what really has no name...