[Sca-cooks] Roast Beef Ideas

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon May 14 22:28:51 PDT 2001

"Tia Marie Kitchen" <emalia17 at hotmail.com> asked:
> I am VERY NEW at feasts, ie this is my forst one and it is for 50, and would
> like some QUICK, good recipies for a TOp Round Roast.

Perhaps some of the recipes in these files in the FOOD section of my
Florilegium files might be of use:
roast-meats-msg   (66K)  7/ 3/00    Hints and period recipes for beef roasts.
meat-rolled-msg   (11K)  6/ 9/00    Period dishes of meat rolled with a filling.

I'm not familar with what cut of meat a "top round roast" is, so it
may be a very tender grade of meat which won't need this next file
or be one you would use in the second, but just in case here are two
more files:
larding-msg       (12K)  6/16/99    Inserting fat into meat in period
and today.
stews-bruets-msg  (65K)  5/24/00    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.

As you mention that you are quite new to cooking a feast, perhaps some
of the cumulative knowledge and ideas of the other cooks on this list
might be of interest in these files in the FEASTS section:
headcooks-msg    (130K)  8/24/00    Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.
fst-disasters-msg (50K)  8/ 2/00    Tales of SCA feasts that were disasters.
practice-fsts-msg  (7K)  2/14/01    Using practice feasts.
feast-ideas-msg   (54K)  3/ 7/01    Ideas for SCA feasts.
feast-menus-msg   (64K) 12/19/00    Feast menus from various SCA feasts.
feast-serving-msg (89K) 11/ 7/00    Ideas for serving feasts. How to organise.
Fst-Menus-art     (11K)  4/15/99    "On Rules for Feast Menus"
                                      by Lord Daniel Raoul le Vascon du Navarre.

> Dillema #2. I have a 6
> hour drive to the feast site from my home. Should I cook before or after i
> get there? The site is nice, has a 6 burner gas stove and a HUGE oven.

Folks may need to know more about your feast and the other items you
plan to serve before they can make a good judgement call on this. You
may want to do some of both, as the more you can do ahead of time, the
less you will have to worry about on the day of the feast. And that may
be a good if this is your first feast.

In the past week or two, we did have a good discussion on transporting
food to a feast. I saved some good messages from that discussion, but
they haven't been made into a file yet. If you wish, contact me by
email and I'll send you that file off the list.

If we knew how long you have to plan your feast, that might be good
to know also.

I hope this helps.
    Stefan
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net