[Sca-cooks] Cat landings WAS [Fwd: [Fwd: Yeah so?]] OT OOP

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Wed May 16 02:02:30 PDT 2001

>Chip wrote:
>>
>> As a child, I had that much time.  Through the gracious cooperation of
>> a very laid-back cat, I conducted a similar study.  When held
>> upside-down (front legs together in one hand, back legs together in
>> the other) I endeavored to find out how much vertical distance a cat
>> requires to right itself before landing.  Bear in mind, this was done
>> with utmost consideration for the cat's comfort (I dropped it onto a
>> bed) and it didn't seem to mind in the least because it kept coming
>> back.

I seem to remember doing something like that, back in my hippie days/daze.
With my own very laid back cat (you could hold her upside down with your
hands under her shoulders and hips and she'd sprawl out and purr loudly ---
now that's trusting) onto yet another bed. She never missed. And when she
went out a two-story window (she was peacefully sleeping when the new
obnoxious kitten jumped up behind her and she forgetting where she was, she
went straight out to get away from him) she landed just fine.

But some cats are just too smart for tape Disco. She would shake one paw,
and then sit down and pull off all the pieces of tape and stalk off with
all her dignity.

Unlike a much more recent cat, who was stalking the string on the helium
balloon as it floated across the room. He grabbed the string and ran, and
the balloon made those swooshing noises, which obviously scared him, which
made him run faster, but as he still had the string in his mouth... We all
laughed so hard it took awhile for us to rescue him.

Nope, can't have enough cute cat stories...

Morgana, with apologies to the dog lovers