[Sca-cooks] spice trade transit time

Wed May 16 07:16:35 PDT 2001

I've never heard of Toledo as a spice trading city, sword blades and
textiles, yes, spices, no.  However, one spice which Toledo was noted for is
saffron.  Ahmad ibn Muhammad al-Razi (10th Century geographer) mentions that
the best saffron in color and aroma came from Toledo.

The location and quality of exports might have made Toledo the end
distributor for central Iberia in the spice trade, but that is speculation.

Bear