[Sca-cooks] OT OOP balls and brass monkeys

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed May 16 14:04:06 PDT 2001

The three balls over a pawn shop are actually a symbol of St. Nicolas,
Patron Saint of (among many other things) Pawnbrokers.  One of his miracles
was to produce three sacks of gold for a family with three daughters who
were destined to be sold into slavery/prostitution because of a lack of
dowery.  The miracle was picked up by the pawn brokers as an 'easy money'
thing, and hence the patronage and the symbols.
Christianna
OB food content, one of his other miracles was to be served dinner by a man
during a time of famine, and the dinner contained meat.  Growing suspicious,
Nicolas went into the man's basement, and found a pickling vat with three
young boys inside it.  He withdrew the children and restored them to life.
Guess he didn't like pickled meat?