[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: [Fwd: Yeah so?]]

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 11:31:25 PDT 2001

On 15 May 01,, Bonne of Traquair wrote:

> I've been wondering ever since I got to Southern California, what is the
> meaning of the Spanish: La Canada (with a tilde over some letter in the
> middle, and pronounced La Can-yada).  There is a town here named that and I
> wondered of any connection with our northern neighbors, or is Canada named
> from some related French word, or through lingual misplacement, like that
> which gives America the mangled name of an Italian mapmaker who never set
> foot here.

Accordsing to my Velazquez Spanish-English dictionary,
"Can~ada" (tilda over the 'n') means "glen or dale between
mountains; glade".  So La Can~ada would be "The Glen".  Looking
at the official La Canada-Flintridge website, I see that the name is
appropriate, and that they use the phrase "glen between the hills"
to describe the city.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann