[Sca-cooks] RE: Re:salted plums

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Thu May 17 19:22:41 PDT 2001

>>So, to get this on a positive tack, what are, from the hundreds of
>>people on this list who I'm sure _love_ salted plums, everybody's
>>favorite kind of salted plums? My family is fond of the ones rolled in
>>salt, sugar, and powdered licorice.
>
>Just can't go past the good 'ole ume-boshi.  The Japanese salt cured plum,
>which is actually a misnomer since its actually an apricot used, but it's
>all stone fruit to me =)  ...

Hmm, that's probably what I remember (the ume-boshi) from grad school --
I went to U Hawaii for my MLS and remember plum "crack seed" from the
bookstore snack rack.  I'm fond of sweet-tart, these were
sweet-salt-tart.  Wonderful things.  Don't remember the brand-name at all
but the plum were only one of dozens of flavors.

So long ago now... I only remember a few things... char siu bow from
Patty's-at-Ala-Moana (chinese buffet at BIG beach-front mall).  An hors
d'oevre I ran across at a student potluck(??) that I don't even know the
nationality of, could be vietnamese...  a dollop of cream cheese like
something the size of a hazelnut, centered in a paper-thin piece of ham
or turkey that was pinched up around it, but enough bigger than the
filling that the finished items looked like a plate-full of pink and
yellow-beige flowers...

Chimene