[Sca-cooks] Homemade butter

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri May 18 23:19:09 PDT 2001

Cerridwyn asked:
> When making butter, is it possible to use a blendr or hand mixer? Also, how
> much butter does a pint of cream yield?

I believe the answer to your second question is "not much".

For more specific answers and some messages on making butter, both
today and in period, check out this file in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium:
butter-msg        (99K)  4/13/01    Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.

For more on cream and types of cream check this file:
dairy-prod-msg    (77K)  9/28/00    Dairy products. milk, butter, curds, cream.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net