[Sca-cooks] online glossary?

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon May 21 14:27:36 PDT 2001

Cindy commented:
> Thanks for the offer Stefan.
>
> I just looked at Phillipa's list.  It's a good beginning, but is
> incomplete. I need a list that, in addition to giving a definition, tells
> me where the word was used and cites examples of use.

I didn't mean her list to be the answer to your question. Just that
there was one example of what had been done and that if she wanted to
continue it, at least in the Florilegium, she already has a "claim"
staked out. However, for such projects I would prefer that they be
done on an ongoing basis. I had thought her list would be the start
of an ongoing project.

> For example:
>
> Mountance, mountenaunce = Amount, weight
>
> - Harl. 270, #44 Meselade - "...[th]e mountance of a mosselle of Brede..."
>
> - LCC, For to make momene - "...Take powder [th]o mountenaunce of a pownde..."

I think adding such material, which is I think similar to what the OED
does, would be nice.

> Can we make this a group project, with someone proposing a few words per
> week, & the rest of us finding citations & definitions for it?  (IMO, it
> beats talking about kittens.)

Sounds fine with me. One concern of mine had been that I doubt I
can make a final decision between two definitions if there isn't
a clear group concensus (ie: the famous cuskynole discussion). I guess
in that case, the definition won't make it into the list, or I will
give both. Otherwise it becomes Stefan's list and not SCA-Cook's list.

I will try to update this list in the Florilegium, at least once a
month, although I will try for more.

So far then, we have:
--------
Amydone, amidon = Starch.

The source of the starch can vary: wheat, rice, whatever.
  <referances?>

Mountance, mountenaunce = Amount, weight

 - Harl. 270, #44 Meselade - "...[th]e mountance of a mosselle of
Brede..."
 - LCC, For to make momene - "...Take powder [th]o mountenaunce of a
pownde..."
--------

I will need to have a bibliography of what we are working from, although
we
can add to this. Also, for each one, I think we need a date or maybe a
region/country. I think we only want about a paragraph for each word
though.
Keeping this succinct and to the point may be the problem.

Comments?

Is there someone else who would like to take on this project and then
just
send me occasional updates to put in the Florilegium?

Phillipa, would you like to take this on? Would you allow whomever does
this list to use your list as the starting point?

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net