[Sca-cooks] Re: transportable nibbles

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue May 22 07:17:10 PDT 2001

>Also (yeah, another question), how did you make the edible bouquet? I
>can recognize starfruit, but that's about it....Are they stuck on the
>end of bamboo skewers or something?
>--Maire

Yes.  I used extra long bamboo scewers.  The blue ones are small white
onions cut in a jagged fashion and sliced part way down each V to help the
'petals' open up and then they are floated in some ice water with lots of
blue coloring.  The "cala lillies" are made with thin slices of rudabega
with a tiny corn for the staimen.  I used tiny portabella mushrooms with
wiggly lines cut in and used as the center of rudiccio.  There are the tiny
red hot peppers cut jagged edged with small hot green straight peppers
sticking out of the center.  The large yellow are nothing more than a turnip
cut in half and tiny cube cuts are made almost all the way through then set
in ice water to open up some.  These I dyed with straight food colour out of
the jar.  The spring onions added a lot with their curley ends.  You know
how to do that?  I used daikon radish that was cut with a star shaped cookie
cutter to act as the base to lots of the 'flowers' so they not only had a
base but it kept them from sliding down the scewer.  I think there were
others but cann't recall at the moment.  The fun part was watching peoples
faces when the "grazed" at the hospitality table and they suddenly realized
what they were looking at!
Olwen who believes food should be FUN!