[Sca-cooks] picky teens was:question of Italian meats

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue May 22 09:53:10 PDT 2001

I guess we could generalize and say the boys will inhale anything and
the girls will be picky- but in my experience it isn't quite that way.
It seems to have more to do with enthusiasm for trying new things in
general that is the key. My older daughter is game for nearly anything.
Most of her friends are thrilled to death to be eating period food and
are full of questions as we cook, etc (I also make them go shopping with
me so they have a better idea on budgeting, etc.). My son is somewhat
picky on some things (green beans and fresh tomatoes will not pass his
lips, but I don't serve them in camp anyway) but is polite about it- a
simple "no, thank you" will come out. That's cool. OTOH, there is one of
the girls who drives me crazy- she's borderline anorexic, has 'rules'
about when she will eat, changes her rules to suit heself, and I think
is currently claiming vegetarianism. It's not about food, really, but
control. The rest of teh gang rolls their eyes behind her back. My
response of late has been "We will be eating at x o'clock, and this is
what's for dinner tonight" and if that isn't what she wants, she can
rummage in the box for fruit and crackers and cheese or something. She's
welcome to control herself, but I don't dance for a 17-year-old. I dance
for me. And for James, truth be told...

The onion tarts smell magnificent. Today I make the Tart of Greens and
then go on to the rest of the pre-cook. After a big mug of tea...

'Lainie