[Sca-cooks] online glossary? - long

tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de
Tue May 22 16:05:42 PDT 2001

<< Are these online? And is there one of French terms? >>

German: No. Italian: I don't think so; I guess, he will publish it as a
book. French: never seen one.

<< ... of all the texts I know to be online ... >>

A great list. Thank you.

Re: indices and concordances:

I did not mean to propose that entries of an index or a kwic-concordance
move into a glossary. Rather, I wanted to say that having an index or a
concordance to a recipe collection can be a valuable _aid_ in
establishing/ compiling a glossary. An index or a concordance is not the
end of work but only the beginning ...

To give an example: I produced a concordance to the 96 recipes of the
culinary collection in MS. Harley 5401.
   (http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/harlkonk.htm; 720 K)
Sure, there are entries which are absolutely worthless (e.g. all the
instances of "a" or "&"). BUT: apart from glossary compiling, one might
use such a list for other purposes, too: e.g. to compare the use of
honey and sugar in this collection, to look for recipes for lampreys
(remember the recent request, where we were asked to contribute to a
masters thesis, providing recipes for lamprey in galantyne etc.), to
look for recipes with cherries ...

I think a cumulative concordance to the _whole_ English culinary corpus
(up to 1600 or so) would be a great thing. And I am confident that there
are some more electronic documents on local harddisks here and there
("The way is long, but the end is near"; Bob Dylan)

Thomas
I append an example from the kwic-concordance to MS. Harley 5401:
instances of "hony" with seven word before and after ...
HONY
3,3 -- to it be standyng; & put þerto hony, & þan dress a lech of þat
one blaunched
14,3 -- pot & put þerto whyte grece & hony or sugure, & boyle it
togyder, & thyk it
20,2 -- it with safron and a porcyon of hony; þen take shyves of brede
tostyd & wete þam
22,3 -- hard sodyn egges, & seth it with hony & sugure, & serof. To make
Amydon. Recipe whete
53,3 -- it with y*olkes of egges; þan take hony & bole it & cast it
þeron, & serof
60,4 -- wyne or gode ale, sugur & pressyd hony & bole it, & take powdyr
of gynger &
64,3 -- let it boyle, & do a lityll hony þerto; þan tak water & well it
in a
65,3 -- well þam togyder; þan take saferon & hony with a lityll fayre
buttur & let þam boyle
66,2 -- with þe same wyne; þan put þerto hony & colour it with saferon,
& set it oure
68,3 -- a lityll porcyon of wyne, anoþer of hony, [101r] and colour it
with saferon, & boyle it
83,4 -- let it bake; & els take clarifyed hony in stede of sugur; &
serof. To bake a
93,1 -- sugur, & serof it forth. To Clarify Hony. Recipe hony, & do it
in a pot, &
93,1 -- serof it forth. To Clarify Hony. Recipe hony, & do it in a pot,
& cast þerto
96,2 -- watur tyll þai be softe, & take hony & strene þe crabbs þerwith
throgh a cloth. Put
96,3 -- Put to a iijd part of claryfyed hony & a quantyte of sawndyrs, &
colour it with