[Sca-cooks] Re: dill

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Wed May 23 08:39:01 PDT 2001

Platina talks about dill in book 3,  (Milham translation)

"Dill is sown as much for cooks as doctors.  A warm force is said to
be in it, and it is not wholly bitter, for it has in it a power of
soothing, and if we are to believe the Greek authors, it is so
nourishing that the Masters of the Games would in no way allow the
food of athletes to be without dill.  It is also believed to give
some relief from fever, it soothes and relaxes the strains of sinews,
and it beckons those who cannot sleep to hope for rest.  Cooked in
three cups of water and given as a drink, it relieves stomach upsets
in a wonderful way.  It especially promotes belching since it aids
digestion.  It settles colic, checks the bowels and stops hiccups
when it seed is warmed and moved near the nostrils.

   Angeline