[Sca-cooks] Strange question re: food contamination

Thu May 24 06:55:28 PDT 2001

Herpes, both genital (Herpes Simplex-2) and cold sores (Herpes Simplex-1),
spreads by direct contact.  This normally means touching the infected area
and transferring the virus by touching someone else.  Since the common
locations for herpes are around the mouth and genitals, sex and kissing are
the most common methods of transmission.

It is unlikely that the disease will be transmitted in food, especially if
the the kitchen staff properly washes the hands and uses food handlers
gloves.

According to the statistics, about 1/6 of the U.S. population has some form
of herpes, so someone in the kitchen is likely to have it, although it may
not be an active case.

Bear