[Sca-cooks] Reference to 'stale' ale.

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu May 24 09:08:13 PDT 2001

Angus MacIomhair said:
> My group is having a small cooking session this weekend and we're going for=
>  onion soup (orig. recipe from Harleian MS 4016) among other things.  The r=
> ecipe calls for stale ale.

I don't think I can help you on the stale ale, but since you are
concentrating on onion soup, perhaps this file in the FOOD section
of my Florilegium might be of use, if for nothing else but to allow
you to contrast your selected recipe with other similar ones in
period. I think it may also show an evolution in "onion" soup over
time, although this could still be an artifact of the particular
onion soup recipes discussed on this list.
onion-soups-msg   (21K) 10/18/00    Period onion soups.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/onion-soups-msg.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net