[Sca-cooks] Reference to 'stale' ale.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 24 13:27:25 PDT 2001

ruadh wrote:

> > Andrea said:
> > > See there is a difference in ways to make it....
> ..........Sounds like it wasn't cooked long enough for the onions to
> > > soften and do their thing.
> >

> just picked up a bag of Vadalia Onions, Try letting them do their thing . .
> . might offset some of the bitters.

In a purely food-related sense, they might. It should be noted, though,
that as a recreation of a period recipe, difficulties might include the
nonexistence of Vidalias in period (although there could easily have
been a similar sweet onion in period, even if we don't know what it
was), and the fact that there's no really strong reason to believe that
the ale used in the recipe was even remotely bitter. There may have been
a bitter gruit added, in lieu of hops, or there may not.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com