[Sca-cooks] more on drinking water in the Middle Ages

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Thu May 24 17:19:47 PDT 2001

Stefan,

I'm 99.9% sure it was the case in Ancient Rome during the Imperial Period.

That's definitely before 1600AD. No idea of any extrapolation, though.

An interesting point - researchers have found that during the Imperial Roman
period, the Romans in Rome used more fresh water per person per day than in
today's society (don't have the reference on me, though). Some of that is
probably because of the constant flow of the water through the public
taps/troughs.

Glenda.