[Sca-cooks] Sweet onions in period Europe

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 21:09:37 PDT 2001

--- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> Chris Stanifer wrote:
>
> > I'm not convinced that our modern "sweet onion" is
> not
> > relly just a throwback to an older, sweet strain
> of
> > onion.  It's entirely possible (though this is
> purely
> > conjecture) that period onions were already sweet,
> and
> > the sweetness was bred out in modern times in
> favor of
> > larger onions and larger crop yeilds.  The
> > "reintroduction" of the Vidalia and Maui sweet
> > varieties would seem a breakthrough in our age,
> but
> > not necessarily in period.  Hence, no special
> mention
> > of a sweet onion.  Of course, period onions could
> have
> > tasted like pencil shavings, too...I have no clue.
> >
> > Balthazar of Blackmoor
>
> I mentioned it only as a possibility, of course. I
> like to keep an open
> mind. Also, isn't there a mention of sweet onions in
> Exodus?
>
> Adamantius

Exodus 12:8 and Numbers 11:5-6 both make mention of
onions, but I don't recall if they were described as
sweet.  They may have been elsewhere in the novel, but
I probably skimmed to the last page to find out how it
ended...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Let the people hate, as long as they also fear.