[Sca-cooks] lunch dishes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 24 22:54:42 PDT 2001

Alban said:
> (I'm back, after a long absence: I was Down Under. Never
> let anyone tell you that Aussies don't know how to cook.
> <burp>)

Welcome back!

> Anyway, I came back, and my home shire is discussing
> recruitment drives, to possibly eventually include a demo-type
> thing for several local colleges.

You might want to look at this file in the SCA-EVENT-PLANNING
section of the Florilegium for some demo ideas that worked (or
didn't) for other groups:
demos-msg         (99K)  2/23/01    SCA demos for education and recruitment.

> So:
> Are there any good sources for lunches, either menus or recipes?

I just added a new file to the FEASTS section today:
Platina-Lunch-art

I will try to get this online in the next few days.

> Off-hand, I can recall quite a few for dinners, and grand events,
> and coronations, and upper-class sit-down feasts, and the like - but
> my admittedly shallow knowledge for food research doesn't
> remember any _lunch_ things.

Perhaps these in the FEASTS section:
dayboards-msg      (8K)  4/24/01    SCA dayboards, middle-of-the-day meals.
finger-fd-fst-art (13K)  9/15/98    A light supper feast using finger foods.
picnic-feasts-msg (10K)  5/ 2/01    Ideas for light, picnic style feasts.
Tavern-Feast-art  (14K)  1/13/99    An all-day tavern-style feast.

Here are some possibilities in the FOOD and the FOOD-BREADS sections:
finger-foods-msg  (20K) 12/ 7/99    Ideas for finger foods at feasts and events.
wafers-msg        (72K)  3/30/01    Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.

In the new FOOD-MEATS section:
meat-pies-msg    (130K)  5/ 7/01    Period meat pies. Recipes.
pickled-meats-msg (43K)  5/ 7/01    Period pickled meats. Lord's Salt. recipes.

Perhaps some small cubes of roast meats and a selection of period
sauces to dip these into? You could use toothpicks much as they do
to handout samples at the grocery stores.

For a great number of sauces, check the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section:
mustard-msg       (83K)  7/11/00    Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
sauces-msg       (114K) 11/28/00    Period sauces. Sauce recipes.
.
> Drinks I can punt on: no iced tea, I know; sekanjubin and fruit-type
> drinks I can find recipes for, and there's always water. It's food I
> need help on. . .

Well, in the BEVERAGES section:
beverages-NA-msg  (80K)  9/ 2/99    Non-alcoholic beverages.
infusions-msg     (19K) 11/27/00    Period infusions. Herbal "teas".
Barley tea.
jalabs-msg        (51K)  1/23/01    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).

I hope this helps, or at least gives you some places to look after
other folks give more specific recipe suggestions.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net