[Sca-cooks] Re: OT: soap (was: Stinky hands)

s_keys at bellsouth.net s_keys at bellsouth.net
Sat May 26 19:24:00 PDT 2001

> At 05:02 PM 5/25/01 -0700, Anahita wrote:
> >added "stuff" to our soaps, so we called them "salad soaps" - blended
> >cucumber, blended apples, black poppy seeds...
>
> Adding blended stuff to soap is great fun.  If the chosen fruit or veggie
> is wet enough it can substitute for part of the water in the lye
> solution.  Cucumbers and lemons both are very good.  Cukes are soothing to
> skin and lemon tightens/tones (I probably wouldn't use them in the _same_
> soap.  They would argue. *s*).  Lemon poppy seed soap will open your eyes
> at 6 am!

Oh what a wonderful idea!!  I'll have to try that.  I am certainly not a morning person.  One soap blend I made for our Baronial Birthday was oatmeal-peppermint.  I have yet to hear back from our Baroness on how she liked it.......

> Many herbs can be infused into the oil or the lye water (depending on the
> effect wanted) and strained out or left in (again depending).  Different
> herbs and spices impart different colors and sometimes benefits to skin as
> well.  Alkanet root makes a gorgeous wine red oil that can be used to make
> pink/mauve/purple soap depending on the ratio of infused/not infused oil
> one uses in the soap.  Infuse it into the lye solution and the soap will be
> blue.  Can you tell that my kitchen counter there's a row of mason
> jars--each with a different herb/spice infused into olive oil?
>
> >We used plastic juice bottles as molds.
>
> Great mold.  My first mold was a big square rubbermaid container lined with
> freezer paper (shiny side to the soap).   I'm still using it for small
> batches.

I found some small ramekin dishes on sale at Wal-Mart, and use them.  They are a great size for a personal bar.

> >Anyway, so, what's "trace"?
>
> Answered already, and oh so well by Meadh inghean Thaidg ui Domhnall.

:)  Thank you, I am still learning soapmaking myself, but folk I have presented the soaps to have liked them so far...
> Love and light and laughter
> Kelsey

Meadh
Nottinghill Coill/Atlantia

Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane
every night of our lives -- Charles William Dement

Shannon Keys
Meadh inghean Thaidg ui Domnall

-Si non caste tamen caute.
-Giving is not an exact science, it is an art.