[Sca-cooks] Vidalia Onions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun May 27 19:32:31 PDT 2001

Cynthia Watson wrote:

> Sorry Guys
> They will only grow sweet there! (around Vidaliia) No matter how you try
> to make the soil match theirs it Will not work! Because they have
> already try that.

Yep. And extensive studies paid for jointly by the Vidalia County
Chamber of Commerce and the Vidalia Onion Board are there to prove it.

But seriously, my own experience has been that real, Vidalia-grown,
Vidalia onions aren't hugely more sweet than many other kinds, so the
news from people like Ras that they _can_ be grown elsewhere as sweet,
while others claim they can't, makes some sense. It may simply be that
these are some admittedly pretty sweet onions to which a serious amount
of hype has been attached. So, Texas-grown (say) Vidalias are sweet, and
may or may not be as sweet as Vidalia-grown Vidalias. My suspicion is
that they probably are (and that may not be as sweet as some people
think anyway) but that various people have a vested interest in Real,
Genyoowine Vidalias being somehow more legitimate, more sweet, etc.

It's also hard to compare them unless all other factors are equal,
ranging from temperature, age, length and type of storage, etc. Enzyme
content in the mouth of the taster. The variables are enormous.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com