[Sca-cooks] Vidalia Onions

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Sun May 27 23:00:17 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<<<SNIP>>>>But seriously, my own experience has been that real, Vidalia-grown, Vidalia onions aren't hugely more sweet than many other kinds, so the news from people like Ras that they _can_ be grown elsewhere as sweet, while others claim they can't, makes some sense. It may simply be that these are some admittedly pretty sweet onions to which a serious amount of hype has been attached. So, Texas-grown (say) Vidalias are sweet, and may or may not be as sweet as Vidalia-grown Vidalias. My suspicion is that they probably are (and that may not be as sweet as some people think anyway) but that various people have a vested interest in Real, Genyoowine Vidalias being somehow more legitimate, more sweet, etc.  . . . SNIP>>>

The last time we discussed this, it was brought up that the major difference in onions grown in the certified Vidlia growing area is the lower sulfur compounds in the onions.  While possibly not sweeter than a walla walla or Texas grown ditty, they will be perceived by many as sweeter.  It is in the soil.

niccolo