[Sca-cooks] Vidalia Onions

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon May 28 00:04:28 PDT 2001

Ras said:
> mordonna22 at yahoo.com writes:
> << Ras (I think) swears
>  that it is a special kind of onion.  I don't
>  think we ever did settle the question.
>
>  Mordonna >>
>
> Not I. It was Stefan who opined that they didn't grow  as flavorful
> elsewhere. My opinion was that they did grow as flavorful but not as big. :-)

Uh, no I didn't. I have no opinion on the Vidalia onion.

My comment was strictly on period onions. And I still think, had they
had a sweet onion on par with the Vidalia onion, we would see evidence
of it in contemporary writings. Considering some of the things they
did ferment, I suspect if they'd had a sweet onion, they'd have brewed
an alcoholic onion wine. Sounds pretty bad, but then consider kumiss.

If someone can find some evidence of a sweet onion in period, not
necessarily in a recipe, I will modify my contention accordingly.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net