[Sca-cooks] Expenses for Food and Lodging of the Embassy from Aragon, 1415

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon May 28 19:15:32 PDT 2001

tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de wrote:

> http://icg.harvard.edu/~chaucer/special/lifemann/manners/aragon.html

Does anybody have an opinion on whether this is a typo? Or is my
understanding of the basics of British currency of the period completely off?

> 4
> mullets at 11 pence, 3 shillings 8 pence;

The only thing I can think of is that each mullet is 11-pence, for a
total of 44 pence, which, assuming a twelve-penny shilling, would work
out, I guess. It's just rather awkwardly recorded, compared to the other notations.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com